Armenian and Azerbaijani officials have indicated that they are ready to resume talks, some six weeks after a major border escalation in Tavush.
“Both sides seem interested in calming down the situation,” Russian foreign minister Sergei Lavrov said. “And to resume meetings organized by the OSCE Minsk Group representatives.” Speaking at the Moscow State Institute for International Affairs (MGIMO) on September 1, he also said that it would be a mistake to discard the so-called Madrid Principles as the basis for negotiations.
In an interview with Trud newspaper last month, Lavrov said that the July fighting was triggered by “the decision of the Armenian side to revive an old border post, located some 15 kilometres from Azerbaijani export pipelines, resulting in heightened anxiety among some and unjustified reaction of others.”
Lavrov’s comments also came in the context of the deployment of several hundred Turkish forces in Azerbaijan, along with at least 6 F-16 jets and more helicopters, ostensibly for exercises. In an apparent response to Turkey, Russia launched military transport sorties to Armenia and organized joint exercises with Armenian forces.
Previously on Focus from and about Lavrov:
Russian Foreign Minister: No Agreement Possible Without NKR’s OK, Nov. 11, 2019
Lavrov: No Danger of War in Karabakh, Oct. 2, 2019
Lavrov Eyes Steps to Keep Line of Contact Calm, Jan. 15, 2018
Report: Aliyev Complains to Putin About “Armenian Influences,” July 24, 2017
Russia Hosts Armenian and Azerbaijani Foreign Ministers, Apr. 28, 2017